|First Version of Centre Medallion|
My new Dresden plate has 20 wedges, divisible by the number 4. In a perfect world my Dresden Plate would have 24 wedges, ( a 15 degree wedge). However, I am also determined to use my new toy, my Sizzix die cutter, so that means a slight compromise, as they do not have a 15 degree wedge die available at this date. I also don't own a fifteen degree ruler anyway.
I had completed my Dresden Plate to this stage last post, and here is my promised follow up regarding my next phase in construction:
My first plate had a navy blue appliqué layer on top of the pale green centre. I used another Sizzix die, Flower Layers to cut the template for the appliqué. However, I ended up trying a new construction method that reduced my green circle by 1/2 inch in diameter. I really liked the "stitch and flip" method of appliqué, as it results in the shapes being "iron-on". At first, I decided to try the stitch and flip on the navy appliqué. However, the sharp curves and angles did not lend themselves to being turned right side out properly. The gluing method resulted in the navy appliqué being too large for the smaller dresden centre.
|Sizzix Flower Layers Die. I am using several of the shapes in my quilt.|
|The paper tears and seams fray too much. The inside corners wrinkle.|
|The glue method results in too large an appliqué. Back to the drawing board!|
I decided to rethink the design, and cut the navy appliqué a different shape. The quilt die has a few different flower layers, so I selected a different shape and cut the navy and fusible layers together. I was able to use the stitch and flip method to prepare the piece. I sewed the seam allowance with a 1/8 inch seam, clipped to the stitching on the inside grooves, and turned it with ease!
|Stitched appliqué ready for turning.|
|Audition of pink layer. By itself, not enough contrast in value.|
|Audition with the navy on top!|
|Dresden Plate Completed!|